There are some automatic and manual storage possibilities in some train stations around France. It is preferable to NOT leave valuables in storage as it is under your entire responsibility. Please keep in mind that this service for both the automatic and manual consignment can be suspended and/or reinstated at any time due to security reasons.
Train stations with automatic “consignment boxes”:
- You will receive a receipt (which you do NOT want to lose!) which will allow you to recuperate your luggage.
- The cost is in function of size and is approximately 4 €, 7 € or 9.5 € for a 48 to 72 hour period. The amount is payable using coins, so prepare to have the exact amount ready when you pay.
- Some boxes at Paris-Montparnasse station only can be paid by Credit Card
- These stations have automatic consignment:
Angers, Avignon-Centre, Bordeaux, Cannes, Marne-la-Vallee-Chessy (Disney), Marseille, Nantes, Nice, Paris Austerlitz / Lyon / Montparnasse / Nord, Toulouse.
Train stations with “manual consignment”:
- Cost runs about 5 € for 10 hours and 8 € per piece of luggage per 24 hour period
- Bicycles, wheelchairs and larger items run about 6 € for 10 hours and 10 € per item per 24 hour period
- These stations have manual consignment :
Dijon, Lyon-Perrache and Strasbourg. The following stations offer this service periodically… generally during tourist season: Saint-Raphael, Bourg-Saint-Maurice, Moutiers, and Saint-Gervais-les-Bains.
As you can see there are not many stations available with storage. One suggestion is to find a nearby store, walk in smiling and ask them if they can’t keep your baggage for a short while. Tell them you’re a tourist etc and want to visit their town and offer them a few Euros etc. You’re sure to find someone who’ll accept. I’ve used this method successfully, a florist put my bag in cold storage!
In Paris and Lyon there’s a special service to handle your luggage:
Baggage storage service – Eelway A luggage free day in Paris and Lyon – Luggage transfer in Paris and Lyon areas including storage at airports and train stations.